- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt plus 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil
- 1 lb pasta (we use spaghetti or penne)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 1 to 1.5 lb large shrimp (about 16 shrimp), peeled and deveined (Costco)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves (or about 1.5 tbsp dried)
- 1/2 lemon, zest grated
- Juice of half a lemon (or more)
- 1/4 lemon, thinly sliced in half-rounds
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)
Cook the broccoli for 3 minutes in a large pot of boiling salted water. Remove the broccoli from the water with a slotted spoon or sieve. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
Drizzle some oil in the same water, cook the pasta according to the package directions, about 11 minutes penne or 7-10 mins spaghetti. Drain well (reserving some pasta water) and add to the broccoli. Immediately add shrimp mixture below.
Meanwhile, in another large (12-inch), heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Add the shrimp, 1 tsp of fine sea salt, and the pepper and saute until the shrimp have just turned pink, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat, add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, red pepper flakes and mix well. Pour over pasta and broccoli. Toss well. Add more pasta water if too dry, and more lemon juice, salt and pepper if desired.